Top U.S. military officials stated that South Korea and the United States will move forward with joint combat drills. Despite pressure from China and North Korea to cancel the drills, military commanders said stopping the drills were not open for negotiation. Tensions between the U.S. and North Korea continue to remain high as the rogue nation accelerates its development of nuclear missiles.
Donald Trump warned North Korea last week that the country would face “fired and fury” if it continued to threaten the United States. In response, North Korea said it was preparing an attack on the island of Guam, which is a territory in the U.S. Pacific.
Thousands of U.S. and South Korean soldiers will begin military exercises on Monday, prompting China and North Korea to respond by asking the two countries to cancel the drills. North Korea considers the drills a preparation to invade the country.
China is North Korea’s main trading partner, and it said that if the U.S. and South Korea cancel the drills, it will urge North Korea to stop its nuclear program. However, the U.S. has no plans to stop the military exercises and does not believe the dictator of North Korea, Kim Jong Un, would stop building his arsenal of weapons.
The chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, Joe Dunford, stated the U.S. will not negotiate with China and North Korea to stop the military drills. The chairman said the U.S. must remain prepared as long as North Korea continues to threaten America.
Tensions rose further between the U.S. and North Korea when the rogue nation said it conducted two successful ICBM tests in late July. According to U.S. military officials, North Korea will cross a red line if it launches another ICBM with the ability to attach a small nuclear warhead inside the missile.